The Salisbury Township School District, located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, serves approximately 1600 students in two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Although the majority of the students pursue higher education, the District is committed to providing superior academic and vocational instruction for all members of its diverse student body. The District seeks to create a quality educational environment which is student-centered, based on high expectations, and contributes to the development of life-long learners.
The District serves a suburban, residential area and is small in comparison with many other school districts in the Lehigh Valley. However, our small size makes it possible for the schools to offer specialized and/or individualized services to students. In addition, Salisbury maintains a diverse, challenging curriculum which promotes flexibility and allows students to take advantage of opportunities which might not be available in larger, less intimate educational surroundings.
In 2011, Salisbury Township School District implemented Teaching and Learning 2014 (TL2014), an initiative designed to bring to life the vision for education outlined in our Strategic Plan. The initiative offered increased learning opportunities by providing all students in Middle and High School with a personal laptop computer to use at school and at home. Access to laptop computer carts was increased at the elementary school level. In only its second year, TL2014 and the Salisbury Township School District were recognized nationally as a Project RED Signature School District and Apple Distinguished Program. These recognitions are a testament to the hard work of our administrative team and teachers to provide a high quality education for our Salisbury students. With the 2014-15 school year, the initiative was rebranded Teaching and Learning 2020 (TL2020) with updated goals and outcomes. Learn more about TL2020 by visiting the TL2020.org site.
SalisburySD.US is a platform to promote the Salisbury Township School District as a learning organization and invite conversation from the larger community. SalisburySD.US provides blog topics and podcast episodes from various contributors on the administrative team. We look forward to expanding the base of contributors to include all stakeholders – teachers, administrators, students, board and community members.
SalisburySD.US is a reflection of our Strategic Plan Shared Beliefs:
- We believe student achievement is positively affected by the active involvement of caring adults in a supportive, safe environment.
- We believe the goal of education is to develop literate, self-directed learners who possess the critical thinking and communication skills necessary to be successful and competitive in the 21st century.
- We believe learning is a lifelong process.
- We believe student engagement begins with relevance to today’s world and success in that world requires integration of ever-evolving technologies and 21st century skills.
- We believe teaching methods must address and be responsive to individual students’ needs.
- We believe in the value and power of collaborative dialogue with all stakeholders.
- We believe every student and educator must be both a learner and a teacher to be successful in the 21st century.
Be inspired, think, learn and grow…with US!